The Open Research Funders Group (ORFG) is a partnership of funding organizations committed to the open sharing of research outputs. This will benefit society by accelerating the pace of discovery, reducing information-sharing gaps, encouraging innovation, and promoting reproducibility. The ORFG speaks in an amplified voice, and engages a range of stakeholders to develop actionable principles and policies that enable sharing and collaboration across the global research enterprise.
The Open Research Funders Group (ORFG) has its genesis in an October, 2015, meeting convened by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC). This forum of open access stakeholders included representatives from more than 50 organizations. It offered a unique opportunity for participants to share experiences, concerns, strategies, and questions regarding open access and open data.
This meeting was the first step toward the creation of a "community of practice". For more details about the October 2015 forum, please read the meeting summary.
The Open Research Funders Group (ORFG) confers regularly to develop actionable principles and programs that can be used by research funders to accelerate access to research and underlying data. The initial focus of the Open Research Funders Group (ORFG) is concentrated in the following areas:
- Developing practical solutions for monitoring open access and open data policy compliance and tracking impact.
- Pulling together resources that qualitatively and quantitatively underscore how openness accelerates research and discovery.
- Identifying best practices pertaining to policy development and implementation.
- Highlighting workflows that minimize hassles for both grant recipients and grant administrators.
- Sharing all of the above with the range of research stakeholders.
Disclaimer: The views, information, and opinions expressed by the ORFG represent our organizational stance and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any individual members.